Monday, October 4th
Autumn Buddha Bowl with roasted fall vegetables (gluten-free).
Brown rice topped with grilled chicken, roasted butternut squash, yams, garbanzo beans, and drizzled with a spicy turmeric aioli.
Tuesday, October 5th
Shrimp ‘po boy (vegetarian).
Warm hoagie stuffed with breaded shrimp, sliced tomatoes, a tangy slaw, and house-made remoulade.
Wednesday, October 6th
Roasted butternut squash risotto (gluten-free/vegetarian).
Creamy risotto packed with locally grown butternut squash, dried cranberries, and fresh herbs.
Thursday, October 7th
Spaghetti squash Bolognese
Slow roasted spaghetti squash topped with a rustic tomato sauce cooked with ground beef, carrots, and onions; served with a side of garlic bread.
Friday, October 8th
Chicken BBQ! ($6.00 and served outside the dining hall, fresh off the grill!) (gluten free)
Grilled chicken quarter (leg and thigh) brushed with Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce, served with a piece of “Elote” which is grilled Mexican street corn, and a side of scratch-made coleslaw.
Salad of the week:
Spinach salad with chicken, beets and goat cheese (gluten free)
Baby spinach topped with diced chicken, sliced beets, crumbled goat cheese, sliced red onion, and served with lemon poppy dressing.
Sandwich of the week:
Greek yogurt chicken Waldorf salad on croissant (CONTAINS WALNUTS!)
Croissant stuffed with chicken tossed in a creamy Greek yogurt dressing with red grapes, apples, and walnuts.
Specialty cookie of the week: Snickerdoodle!
Scratch Dressing: Balsamic Vinaigrette
Dessert of the week: Pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting
- No student guessed our trivia question from last week. EVOO stands for extra virgin olive oil and is high in healthy fats and can be part of a heart-healthy diet.
- Skip the lines at lunch and pre-order! Remember, if you pre-order you are guaranteed to get what you wanted and the line is much shorter! Take advantage of this option!
- Squash that nutrition! All different types of squashes are very nutritious and can be a healthy part of your diet! https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/butternut-squash#:~:text=All%20types%20of%20squash%20are,C%20(4%2C%205).&text=Squash%20is%20available%20year%2Dround%20in%20most%20places.
- On Tuesday, take a trip to Louisiana and try out our shrimp ‘po boy! Not sure what that is, give this a quick read! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po%27_boy
- What is Bolognese? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolognese_sauce Read up on this 200-year-old recipe and why it’s still relevant and delicious today!
- Is spaghetti squash full of carbs? No – actually spaghetti squash is full of vitamins and minerals. Easy to cook and full of flavor this vegetable is a welcome addition to the lunch table! https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/spaghetti-squash
- Have you ever tried Mexican street corn, also known as, elote? Eltoe is corn on the cob, grilled and brushed with seasoned mayonnaise and sprinkled with Cotija cheese. It’s simple and delicious.
- If you are “eating your colors” then you’ve got to eat beets. These vibrant root vegetables pack a dense nutrient punch! https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-beets
- Short history of the Waldorf salad - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf_salad
- Yes please! https://www.today.com/parents/airbnb-has-winnie-pooh-tree-house-rent-england-t231178